Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Entre les Murs


I watched this movie for my french class and was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

Remember that movie, Freedom Writers with Hilary Swank? I've never seen the whole movie, but from what I understand of it, it is about her dealing with "difficult" students and helping them overcome their struggles.

That is basically what this movie is about.  It is about a teacher struggling with students with bad attitudes in intercity France, and helping them overcome obstacles in their lives.

I really felt connected with a lot of the characters in this movie, a lot of the students and the teacher himself.  I put myself in his shoes a lot during the movie, trying to guess how I would react to the multiple insane things the students do. It really opened my eyes. If I were planning on becoming a teacher, I think I would love/hate to work with kids like this.  I would love to see all the hard work I put in to the students pay off at the end of the year. However, you see in the movie how he vents to other teachers when they don't try and how he can see so much potential in them, but they don't show initiative to learn. That would frustrate me to no end.  Also a lot of the students talk back to him, and at one point he calls two girls skanks. The students respond by calling him an asshole and he then defends himself by saying teachers are allowed to say certain things that students aren't. I disagree with that. I think that students should be able to say anything teachers are. Its all about fairness both ways.

Anyway, it is a great movie and I suggest you all watch it! With subtitles, of course.

1 comment:

Chelsea Kirchoff said...

Sounds just like Freedom Writers, but I don't know about this teacher man. He looks like Kevin Spacey and therefore I don't think I can connect with him. That one asian on the poster looks like he's in the wrong class; just sayin.

I can't believe he called them SKANKS.
IS THIS REAL LIFE?

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You did spent over 2 hours watching it. The least you could do was enjoy it.

I bet you'll miss Francais class.