Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's Pat!

Come one, come all: IT'S PROJECT PAT day and Chelsea Kirchoff and I are posting coordinating posts. I'm not expecting many people to know who Pat is before this post, but my goal is to educate my peers about what a truly wonderful person PAT is!

And now, ladies and gents, I would like to introduce you to PAT! 


Pat was a character on SNL, and was so popular that a movie was made in 1994.  The thing is... no one knows if Pat is a man or woman! The movie is about Pat's new relationship with Chris (who is androgynous as well) and how Pat's neighbors go to pretty far lengths to find out who really wears the pants in the relationship. It even features a pre-nose-job Kathy Griffin and Kathy Najimy! All in all, it is a pretty hilarious movie; I totally recommend it!

Pat is only the beginning of this post though.  The oddest thing about Chelsea and my discovery of Pat, is that earlier in that day, I read her Baby X.  Baby X is a fictional story about a family who raises a baby not as a male or as a female, but neutral.  Everyone around X is freaking out because they don't know if they should treat it as a girl or boy, and pretty soon other kids in school decide to stop following gender rules either, which causes an up-roar in the community.  The parents of the neighborhood make X get tested by a psychiatrist to determine what everyone wants to know -- why is X so weird?! and what is X?!  The psychiatrist comes out after the lengthy tests to tell the waiting parents that X is the most normal person he's ever met and X's sex doesn't matter!

Moral of the post -- don't follow gender rules just because. Be yourself. If your a girl who wants to roll in mud playing sports and get dirty working on a car, DO IT!  If you're a boy who wants to push a baby doll in a stroller in between the tea parties you are hosting, DO IT!  You won't regret it in the long-run. It is what makes you different and..., well, you! 

2 comments:

Chelsea Kirchoff said...

I legit just got home and ran to my computer. I was so excited for this post. My face hurts from smiling and giggling like an idiot while reading it. I like the part where you mention the neighbors trying to figure out who REALLY wears the pants; GENIUS. I hope you came up with that yourself (if so, your wittiness never ceases to amaze me) and it's also pretty great when you mention that you read me Baby X like I'm 10 years old. Matt Benyo, I've said it once and I'll say it again, you're something else.

Totally worth the wait.
Totally awesome.
What's a ween?

Matt Benyo said...

Yes I came up with that! haha
It was originally "find out what Pat really is..."
But decided that wasn't funny enough!

And I did read you Baby X like you (and Nathan) were a child!